Thursday 18 March 2010

In the shadows of El Superclasico


As a newcomer to this beautiful country I'm looking to involve myself in the most typically Argentine pursuits. I've been to an 'asado' and I've filled my belly with facturas. However the one thing I've yet to do is go to El Superclasico. Even in England we realise that this is the biggest and most passionate game in the world apart from Tottenham vs Arsenal of course.

In the Observer, a popular British newspaper, they did a list of the top 50 sporting events you should go to before you die. El Superclasico is number 1.

Do you agree?

click here to read the article

Tom

4 comments:

  1. I’ve never been interested in football, but I realized that for those who enjoy it, the superclásico is the most exciting and fascinating pastime. That’s why I think/ believe that Boca-River could be the number 1 in the list. Feeling the passion and fanaticism of Argentinian people is something worth doing.
    I read the whole article and I found three sporting events that I would like to do before I die. The first one ; playing elephant polo in Nepal, the second one; riding a stage of Le Tour De France and finally, skiing the Hahnenkamm downhill course in Austria.

    What do you think? Do you find those three sports as interesting as I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elephant polo would be immense! I think we should persuade the Buenos Aires polo community to give it a whirl.

    I like the idea of running the New York Marathon during the day and then going to see a huge heavy weight boxing fight in the evening. The marathon would be like a tour of the greatest city in the world and then the hype and theatre of the boxing would typify what New York is all about. The toughness and the glamour all rolled into one.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this article because if you have never been in Argentina and your favourite sport is socker, what a better idea that going to a superclásico match?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty cool to get involved with the Argentine pursuits trying new stuff! Particularly, I´ve never been to El Superclasico, nevertheless, if you are football fan and you like feeling the game emotion, you should definitely go!

    ReplyDelete